Chair Award Criteria
The candidate ignites enthusiasm for learning.
- The candidate presents content in an engaging manner using a variety of instructional approaches, including the norms and skills of accountable talk.
- The candidate integrates a variety of technology to maximize student learning.
For Pedersen Teachers First Chair Award:
- The candidate educates students on the appropriate use and consumption of various media, providing them with perspectives on the benefits and risks of public personae, and empowers them to constructively employ new media in their lives.
For all other Chair Awards:
- The candidate engages students in active reasoning and exposes students to a wide range of perspectives and challenges them to think comprehensively, imaginatively, and independently.
The candidate creates an exceptional learning environment for all students.
- The candidate sets high expectations and demonstrates a commitment to a high level of achievement for all students.
- The candidate excels in maintaining a positive and equitable learning atmosphere by being supportive, nurturing and respectful.
- The candidate uses practices and materials that reflect diverse racial and ethnic contributions and perspectives.
The candidate is a role model.
- The candidate is involved in the life of the school beyond formal teaching responsibilities.
- The candidate inspires his/her colleagues by sharing information, ideas, techniques, and new perspectives through his/her Professional Learning Community, faculty meetings, professional development opportunities, etc.
- The candidate is often looked upon as a subject matter expert by other teachers and/or administrators (Common Core standards, Principles of Learning, and other specialties, etc.)